Palos Introduces the Hospitaller Pavilion
Palos Community Hospital is proud to announce the name of its new surgical and patient pavilion, which is currently under construction and scheduled to open in 2013. The new structure will be called “The Hospitaller Pavilion of Palos Community Hospital,” in honor of The Religious Hospitallers of St. Joseph.
The Religious Hospitallers of St. Joseph first came to Chicago in 1903 with the sole purpose of establishing a new medical facility, and in 1905, the St. Bernard Hotel Dieu — now known as St. Bernard Hospital and Health Care Center — was opened in the Englewood neighborhood. In 1920, the order then purchased 175 acres of land in Palos and named the area Mount St. Joseph. Fifty years later, ground was broken to build a 265-bed hospital on the location, and in 1972, Palos Community Hospital opened its doors. Today, Palos is recognized as the only hospital in Illinois to receive the Patient Safety and Distinguished Hospital for Clinical Excellence awards six years in a row from HealthGrades®, the nation’s leading independent health care ratings organization.
The Palos Community Hospital Board of Directors dedicates The Hospitaller Pavilion to serve “as a permanent and lasting acknowledgement of the courage, compassion, commitment, faith, vision and leadership of the Religious Hospitallers of St. Joseph and most especially, Sister Margaret Wright RHJS, who for more than 30 years served as President and Chief Executive Officer.”
The Hospitaller Pavilion of Palos Community Hospital delivers state-of-the-art surgical and intensive care suites to replace those built more than 35 years ago. Housed within the new structure, the Center for Short Stay Care provides convenient access to outpatient services, while new private rooms enhance patient comfort and care.
The project’s second phase, set to begin in 2013, will transform existing patient rooms from semi-private to private and integrate the latest advances in health care.