Live a healthier, longer life after a diagnosis of a heart condition. Take part in cardiac rehabilitation at Palos Health, where a dedicated team helps you reach your fitness goals.
Expect high-quality care and guidance that follows high national standards. Palos Health’s program holds certification from the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR).
What’s Cardiac Rehab?
Cardiac rehabilitation is all about learning and doing. Your personalized program will include:
- Supervised exercise
- Health education
- Help to understand and control risk factors
- Regular check-ins to see how you’re progressing for how long
Benefits of the Program
Get support and guidance to:
- Boost energy levels
- Decrease stress and anxiety
- Increase your physical fitness
- Lessen symptoms like shortness of breath
- Lower your risk of future heart problems
- Return to your regular activities as soon as possible
Who Needs Cardiac Rehab?
Take advantage of cardiac rehabilitation to:
- Help you recover after a heart attack
- Help you heal after heart surgery or a procedure, such as stent placement
- Manage a heart condition, such as congestive heart failure
Inpatient means you get care overnight in the hospital. If you’re hospitalized at Palos Health to treat a cardiac condition or event, your cardiac rehabilitation may start while you’re still in the hospital. You’ll learn about your condition and how to take care of yourself so you can get back to your daily life sooner.
Outpatient means you go to the health care facility for care and go home afterward. Each week, you’ll visit Palos Hospital for exercise and education sessions. Most patients have 12 number of visits throughout the program. For your convenience, our fitness area offers early morning and evening hours.
Do I Need to Be a Current Patient?
Palos Health’s cardiac rehabilitation program is open to new and current patients. If you had cardiovascular treatments elsewhere, you can still enroll in our outpatient program.
Is There a Wait List?
Start improving your health as soon as possible. At Palos Health, you benefit from fast access without a wait time for this program.
What to Expect
You’ll first have a health evaluation to check your current fitness. Based on the results, our exercise physiologist and cardiac rehabilitation medical director will tailor your rehabilitation program to your unique needs.
You’ll also identify your heart disease risk factors, such as:
- Being overweight or obese
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- High cholesterol
- High stress levels
- Poor diet and exercise habits
Your program will include:
- Supervised exercise in our spacious workout area that offers a variety of exercise equipment
- Ongoing education to help you lower risk factors through heart-healthy lifestyle changes
- Medication management
- Support to lower stress levels
Keeping You Safe
When you start the program, your activity levels will begin at the safest level for you and increase as you make progress. For your peace of mind, our helpful staff will monitor your heart rate and other vital signs while you exercise using advanced telemetry technology.
Can I Bring a Support Person?
A family member, friend, or caregiver can come with you to your rehabilitation sessions.