Palos Health's nationally recognized Diabetes Program provides education in the self-management of diabetes. Your Diabetes Game Plan will give an overview of diabetes and the self-management skills it takes to confidently manage your diabetes on a day-to-day basis. Through it you will learn:
- The different types of diabetes
- How to recognize the signs and symptoms of uncontrolled diabetes
- To identify the complications of diabetes
- The importance of blood-glucose monitoring
- How food affects blood-glucose levels and the importance of nutritional balance
- How exercise impacts blood glucose
- How various oral diabetes medications work
- The importance of proper foot care
- To cope with your feelings about diabetes
- To find help through local support groups
A physician referral is required.
Services are offered as individual or class sessions, depending on your insurance coverage. Medicare and most private insurances cover diabetes education. We also offer a competitive fee-for-service for those whose insurance does not cover diabetes education.
For information regarding our Diabetes Education Program, call 708.226.2626.