Inpatient Behavioral Health Services
When substance use or mental illness puts the well-being of you or someone else at serious risk, inpatient care provides protection, security and a path to recovery. Rely on Palos Health for 24/7 behavioral health care and medical treatment—delivered while you’re removed from the stress of daily life, so you can focus on getting better.
Do I Need Mental Health Inpatient Care?
Our inpatient care in Palos Heights, IL, benefits individuals who are:
- Abusing or addicted to drugs or alcohol
- Living with severe depression and having suicidal thoughts
- Experiencing hallucinations
- Experiencing severe anxiety
- Injuring themselves or someone else
- Living with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Exhibiting symptoms of dementia or Alzheimer’s
- Living with a serious mental illness
- Unable to function with daily activities
What Happens in the Hospital?
After arriving at Palos Hospital for inpatient psychiatric care, you’ll meet with a team that will include a psychiatrist, psychiatric nurse, occupational therapist and social worker to discuss your symptoms.
Inpatient Treatment Options
After a thorough assessment, you’ll participate in developing a personalized treatment plan that may include:
- Individual psychotherapy – Explores the thoughts, feelings, behaviors and relationships that led to hospital admission and provides strategies for constructively dealing with them
- Group therapy – Offers opportunities to learn from your peers in a setting where you’ll feel accepted and understood
- Medication evaluation
- Sensory room – Lets you calm yourself using music, images, weighted blankets, rocking chairs and other tools
- Occupational therapy – Builds skills required for independent living
- Chemical dependency treatment – Helps you recover from substance abuse or addiction
In most cases, family involvement is strongly encouraged. You can specify family or friends who may participate in your treatment.
Staying in touch with your support system helps you recover. During your inpatient stay, you may welcome two adult visitors at a time from 6 to 8 p.m. daily.