Palliative and Supportive Care
Palliative and Supportive Care is medical care for patients with serious illnesses. This care includes enhancing the quality of life for patients and their family and is provided throughout an illness, along with curative treatment. Palos offers palliative care for patients in the home, hospital or skilled nursing facility.
To speak to a nurse about Palliative and Supportive Care, call 708-923-4673.
When to consider Palliative and Supportive Care
The purpose of palliative care is to address distressing symptoms such as breathing difficulties or nausea. Palliative care can begin at any stage of a serious illness. Serious conditions that are appropriate for a Palliative and Supportive Care consultation include:
- Heart failure
- Kidney failure
- Chronic liver disease
- COPD and other advanced lung diseases
Working with your physician
Together, your physician and our Palliative and Supportive Care team work toward achieving your goals of care at all stages of illness while you continue to receive treatment.
Palliative and Supportive Care can help you and your family
The Palliative and Supportive Care team may assist you and your loved ones by:
- Helping you learn more about your illness, treatment and prognosis
- Clarifying goals of care
- Supporting your medical decisions
- Ensuring that care is in line with your wishes
- Providing emotional support
- Identifying spiritual or religious concerns
- Working with you to make advance care plans
- Arranging for referrals to community agencies
What to anticipate
During your Palliative and Supportive Care consultation, you can expect:
- Initial introduction to Palliative and Supportive Care for you and your family
- Identification of patient needs and symptom management
- Follow-up assessments
- Assistance with establishing individualized goals of care
Palliative Care is not hospice
Palliative Care can begin at any time for patients with serious illnesses. Hospice is intended for individuals who likely have six months or less to live.
Request more information
To receive Palliative and Supportive Care, talk to your doctor about a referral, or call 630-257-1111 for more information.