What is the DAISY Award?
The DAISY (Diseases Attacking the Immune System) Award is an international recognition program that honors and celebrates the skillful, compassionate care nurses provide every day. The DAISY Foundation was established by the family of J. Patrick Barnes after he died from complications of the auto-immune disease ITP in 1999. During his hospitalization, they deeply appreciated the care and compassion shown to Patrick and his entire family. When he died, they felt compelled to say "thank you" to nurses in a very public way. To learn more, visit www.DAISYFoundation.org.
Please say thank you by sharing your story of how a nurse made a difference you will never forget! Download a nomination form.
View DAISY winners here, or visit the DAISY award case in our lobby.
To Nominate an Extraordinary Nurse:
Anyone may recognize a deserving nurse by filling out a form and putting it in one of our DAISY nomination units located on the nursing units or in the main lobby.
You may also submit your nomination via email to:DAISY@PalosHealth.com.
We are very proud of our nurses who exemplify the Philosophy of Nursing and the mission of Palos Hospital as demonstrated by these attributes and qualities:
- Provides consistent focus on meeting patient and family needs
- Delivers compassionate, empathetic care
- Passionate about their commitment to patient care
- Is trustworthy and sincere
- Demonstrates excellent assessment skills, critical thinking, and decision-making capacities
- Demonstrates humanistic aspects of nursing in combination with scientific knowledge
- Works well with all healthcare team members to achieve common goals
- Exhibits professionalism
Each DAISY Award honoree will be recognized at a ceremony on his/her unit and will receive:
- A beautiful certificate
- A DAISY Award pin
- A hand-carved stone sculpture entitled "A Healer's Touch"
- His/her picture showcased
In addition, the selected nurse’s unit receives a banner to post for the month and freshly baked cinnamon rolls for everyone on the day the award is presented.